Piazza San Prospero, also known as “Piasa cica”, meaning “Piazza Piccola” (Small Square), was the site of the Reggio fruit and vegetable market in ancient times.
View of the piazza from above
Located just off the Main Piazza (now known as piazza Prampolini), it was an important hub for the city during medieval times. The portico was built in 1488 with the opening to the public of a passageway underneath the loggia.
Apse of the Cathedral seen from Piazza San Prospero
The appearance of the walkway was enhanced (in an explicitly Rococo style) at the end of the 1700s. During that same era, decoration, with a slightly Oriental look, of the entryway to the main piazza was carried out based on designs by Francesco Fontanesi.
When coming from piazza Prampolini, after crossing via Broletto, there is an impressive view of the Basilica di San Prospero which is dedicated to the city’s patron saint.
The Basilica is characterized by a stately octagonal bell tower. Plans for the tower, which was erected by Alberto, Roberto and Bernardino Pacchioni, were submitted to Guilio Romano for approval in 1538.
Facade of San Prospero, built by Giovan Battista Cattani (1748-53) with sculptures by Angelo Finali
The apses of the Cathedral look out over the opposite side of the piazza, providing an attractive contrast to the façade of the Basilica di San Prosper